I began the left front panel. Working in the same way, with scattered purl stitches throughout the section, I completed it in a day. Brilliant.
Not so brilliant was the rather glaring discrepancy in the size of back and front sections. Now, I’m aware that I did not gauge as thoroughly as I should have (I checked stitches, but not so much rows) and I know for a fact that I occasionally lost count of the rows I had knit, but I am certain that I checked the length of the front against the length of the back. I remember doing it! Unfortunately, there is little evidence of that to be seen. Even more sadly: neither piece is the right size.
So it’s off to the frog pond with them both, a hard-learned lesson in impatience and the value of precision.