Remember when I used to actually post? And, you know, actually knit stuff? And do crafty, creative-type things? Yeah, I’m not sure I really remember what that was like, either.
Anyway, it’s been an interesting autumn. We have a little brother or sister for Peanut on his or her way: we’ll get to meet the new little one sometime in May. The first trimester has been incredibly rough. Serious, crippling nausea. Peanut and I have watched a lot of television, I’m sad to say. But things are getting better, and I’m starting to daydream about food, so I’m feeling hopeful. In all honesty, it was rather depressing. My nausea gets worse through the day, and peaks at night, so I would wake feeling pretty icky and know that, no matter what I did, it was definitely going to get worse. Hard to stay upbeat with that sort of daily reality, but I seem to have turned a corner and things are much better and I’m feeling like myself again.
But yarny goodness! I’ve been actually making, you know, STUFF out of yarn! Not a lot, but a little. It’s gotten co-o-o-old here north of the 49, and Peanut didn’t have a good winter hat for her post-growth-spurt self. So I made this:
The yarn is something I picked up five years ago to make a scarf, a scarf which never actually happened. The ball band is long gone and the LYS where I bought it no longer carries the yarn. I think it’s acrylic, maybe an acrylic blend. It’s fluffy and bulky and soft, though, so I’m happy with it. The black is some random acrylic that my mother recycled out of a poncho (yes, a poncho!) she knitted circa 1970 or something like that. So the black yarn predates Peanut by close to four decades, which is kind of awesome.
The deets, such as I have them:
Pattern (hat): Brrr Baby Beanie
Pattern (flower): Simple Crochet Flower
Hook: 5mm (H)
Mods: I added an extra round of increases and a few extra rounds of length to ensure the hat would be big enough for as long as possible. I plan to line the hat with polar fleece as well, to get us through the particularly frigid days of January and February in Ottawa, so the bit of extra space in the hat should help it fit even with the lining.
I’ve also made a tiny amount of headway on this (you’ll have to scroll down). I’ll have to get a picture of it when the sun is higher today. I’m almost finished the back piece. If I continue at this rate, I might get it finished within a year of starting it. Maybe it’ll be ready for my post-partum self. We can always hope!